Podcast Episode 38
The avocado is a little miracle food. Host Mary Purdy, nutrition expert and Registered Dietitian, takes you on a tour of the many health benefits of the avocado. She explores why the avocado is so powerful and how to make the most of it.
PLUS: The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
Health Benefits of Avocados
- The impressive fiber content in avocados.
- Understanding monounsaturated fat in the avocado.
- Avocado’s power to help with weight maintenance.
- The nutritional importance of scooping out ALL of the “meat.”
Avocado Nutrition Facts
- It’s high in vitamins and minerals!
- Helpful for cellular function (hint: Potassium).
- Helpful for bone health (hint: Vitamin K).
- Helpful for heart health (hint: Folate).
- Antioxidants called carotenoid, protective against cancer.
- Is the avocado high or low in protein?
Is Avocado a Fruit or Vegetable?
- Is this a fruit or vegetable?
- Practical ideas of how to get more avocado into your life.
And, The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Life insurance for health-conscious people. Vegetarians in the house say “yo!” Use this link to get a free quote or mention the promo code “MNS” when you talk to a Health IQ agent. Help support our show at no cost to you. 🙂
ABOUT THE SHOW
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University.
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine!
DISCLAIMER: This podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only. Please consult your doctor before following any information you hear here. The opinions expressed here are those exclusively of Mary Purdy, the Show’s producers, and guests, and do not necessarily represent the views of Arivale, Bastyr, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, or other entities.