Podcast Episode 55
Is coconut good or bad for you? Are you crazy for coconut or does the coconut craze drive you crazy? Host Mary gives you the nutrition scoop on coconut. With lime.
PLUS: The Nutrition Challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
What are the potential benefits of coconut?
- What are the potential health risks of coconut?
- What do the studies show?
Processed vs. Unprocessed coconut
- Different forms of this fruit (yogurt, creamer, etc)
Coconut is a drupe!
- What is a drupe?
What role does coconut play in heart health?
- How does coconut affect cholesterol, HDL, and LDL?
- What about saturated fat?
- What’s up with coconut and medium chain triglycerides?
What are other health benefits of coconut?
- Vegans and coconut “meat.”
- Other properties: fiber, anti-bacterial, fatty acids.
- How to get coconut in your diet?
- What about coconut oil and coconut milk?
- Different ways to use different forms of coconut.
- The smoke point of coconut oil.
- Leveraging coconut’s natural sweetness.
- Coconut as a dairy replacement.
- What about coconut water?
And, The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Mary’s Nutrition Show is on Amazon’s Alexa
You can say: “Alexa — enable Mary’s
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor.
Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly. Subscribe and Review on Podcasts App (
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct Professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S NEW BOOK: Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset