Podcast Episode 58
What are GMO Foods and why should you care? Where do you find GMO’s? How do they affect human health and the environment? Special guest Melinda Hemmelgarn, RD tells all.
PLUS: The Nutrition Challenge of the Week!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Around 90% of all corn, soy, canola oil and sugar beets produced in the US is GMO.
- Around 75% of processed foods in supermarkets contain one or more GMO ingredients.
What is a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO)?
- Let’s start with a definition
GMO foods and health for humans
- Why are we uncertain about safety?
- What do studies tell us?
- Virus tolerant vs herbicide tolerant
GMO foods and health of the environment
- The affect on rivers, bee colonies, soil, and other concerns
- How do herbicides relate with GMO foods?
What are the common GMO products?
- How can you avoid GMO foods?
- GMO foods and health and organic
- The importance of knowing about your what you eat
AND… The Nutrition Challenge of the Week!
Guest, Melinda Hemmelgarn, MS, RD:
Food Sleuth Radio: https://exchange.prx.org/series/32432-food-sleuth-radio
Food Sleuth Radio Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/336205368377/
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
US RIGHT TO KNOW: https://usrtk.org/gmos/
BIOSCIENCE RESOURCE PROJECT (J. LATHAM): https://bioscienceresource.org/
- Be sure to join us next time. We’ll be chatting about PLANT BASED PROTEINS
- Why are these so awesome? and How can you get more in your diet?
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly. Subscribe and Review on Podcasts App (and iTunes) ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University. Past experience:
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct Professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine! MARY’S NEW BOOK: Serving the Broccoli Gods DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset