Podcast Episode 67
Cholesterol gets a lot attention, and it’s generally considered a bad thing. Mary Purdy debunks common cholesterol myths, explains the difference between good cholesterol and bad cholesterol and how to improve your numbers!
PLUS: The nutrition challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
Why is cholesterol such a hot topic?
- Have you checked your cholesterol recently?
Where can you find cholesterol?
- Why is cholesterol actually necessary for our body’s survival?
When can excess cholesterol lead to a plaque build-up in the arterial wall?
- Why there are plenty of people who have high cholesterol and lead long and healthy lives
- Why there are plenty of people who have low cholesterol and have a heart attack
- Why our bodies build plaque anyway
What is “good” cholesterol and what is “bad” cholesterol?
- What are HDL and LDL?
What are the foods that you can eat to avoid bad cholesterol and clogged arteries?
- What is the difference between saturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and monounsaturated fats
- Which foods to avoid
- And why you have to work out to decrease cholesterol levels
PLUS: The Weekly Challenge!
Challenge yourself to incorporate lentils into a recipe or meal…our friends at USA Pulses know a thing or two about delicious affordable and sustainable recipes.
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Jillian Avey Coaching:
THIS WEEK’S GIVE-AWAY:
- To enter yourself into the drawing:
- Email Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put “cholesterol” in subject line
- FYI – Food from Nona Lim can only be sent to a USA address.
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University. Past experience:
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct Professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine! MARY’S NEW BOOK: Serving the Broccoli Gods DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset