Podcast Episode 49
“Why do I crave sugar?” Is this you? Humans are wired to love sweets, but you probably know that refined sugar is not so good for health.
Understanding your cravings can be a great first step in making changes. Join host Mary Purdy RD, as she explores the possible reasons you’re dipping into the candy/chip drawer, and provides easy tips that can help you out today.
PLUS: The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT
Why Do I Crave Sugar?
- How humans are naturally wired to enjoy sweets
- Sweets and Dopamine
Refined Sugar and Sugar Nutrition
- What is refined sugar?
- Why can high amounts of refined sugar intake be a problem?
- What is the relationship with weight gain and sugar?
- Nutritional value of sugar
What are the Causes of Sugar Cravings?
- Lack of balance in meals
- Skipping meals & emotions
- Cycle of refined flour and simple carbs
Alternatives to Refined Sugar
- The best natural sweeteners
- Naturally sweet foods
- Healthy sweets, like dates and sweet potatoes
Tips for Helping Cravings
- The merits of bitter foods
- Addicted to sweets
- How can beverages help?
- Experimentation and testing
The Problem with Artificial Sweeteners
- Confusing signals, Insulin, and the Microbiome
Where do Cravings Come From?
- Comfort food, emotional eating, and getting curious
And, The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
ABOUT THE SHOW
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University.
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine!
DISCLAIMER: This podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only. Please consult your doctor before following any information you hear here. The opinions expressed here are those exclusively of Mary Purdy, the Show’s producers, and guests, and do not necessarily represent the views of Arivale, Bastyr, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, or other entities.