Podcast Episode 40
Get the health benefits of turmeric: the bulb, the spice, the miracle worker! This incredible food can protect against cancer and inflammation all while it supports your brain, heart and liver. Listen to this week’s show to learn about how turmeric can help you and how to get more of it in your diet through cooking and supplements and a little something called “Golden Milk“.
PLUS: The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
What is Turmeric?
- Where does turmeric come from?
- What does it look like in the whole form?
- What is curcumin and why is it important?
The Benefits of Turmeric
- How does curcumin protect against cancer?
- Is it anti-inflammatory?
- What does it do for your brain, heart and liver?
- How can you cook with turmeric?
- What about other ways to get your daily dose?
- What is the trick to make turmeric more effective?
- Mary’s recipe for Golden Milk
- Recipe for Golden Roasted Cauliflower from my friend and colleague Jessica Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN
Turmeric Side Effects
- When should you avoid turmeric?
Mary’s Favorite Curcumin Supplements
- The below supplements mentioned in the show may not all have piperine in them (with the exception of Gaia Herbs), but have been shown to be extremely well absorbed. In fact this study just came out on Theracurmin.
- Gaia – Golden Milk * It’s best heated and mixed with coconut/almond milk beverages to get the fat needed for maximum benefit.
- Bioclinic Naturals – Theracurmin
- Jarrow – Curcumin 95
And, The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Life insurance for health-conscious people. Vegetarians in the house say “yo!” Use this link to get a free quote or mention the promo code “MNS” when you talk to a Health IQ agent. Help support our show at no cost to you. 🙂
ABOUT THE SHOW
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University.
- Private practice (8 yrs)
- Adjunct professor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine!
DISCLAIMER: This podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only. Please consult your doctor before following any information you hear here. The opinions expressed here are those exclusively of Mary Purdy, the Show’s producers, and guests, and do not necessarily represent the views of Arivale, Bastyr, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, or other entities.