Podcast Episode 81
Ever wonder why winter squashes are so darn great? From numerous health benefits to just looking lovely, these nutrient-rich gems are true superfoods! Mary dishes out 7 reasons why you want to incorporate more winter squash into your life.
Plus…yummy squash recipes and a song about “Kabocha”!
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- Why is Winter Squash so earth friendly?
- What are the health benefits of Winter Squash?
- What is a superfood?
- What vitamins and minerals are Winter Squash rich in?
- How do you spell zeaxanthin?
- What’s so great about carotenoids? LINK: https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/carotenoids
- How many calories are in a cup of squash?
- Why is fiber so damn good for us?
- Can Winter Squash satisfy a sweet tooth?
- How do you cook Winter Squash?
- Spiced Squash Quinoa by Melissa Groves Azzaro, RDN, LD
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup by Chef Julie Andrews, MS, RDN
- Acorn squash stuffed with wild rice Melissa Nieves, LND, RD, MPH
- Creamy Butternut Carrot Ginger Soup, Jennifer Hunt, RDN, LD
Info and Registration about Mary’s Continuing Education Course with Bastyr University: “Your Brain on Food: Nutrition for the MInd”
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Subscribe and Review on Apple Podcasts App
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset