Hi! I’m Mary Purdy – Integrative and Eco-Dietitian, Speaker, Writer and Adjunct Faculty Lecturer
An excerpt from my kindergarten teacher’s evaluation: “Food means a lot to Mary. If she doesn’t like her lunch it ruins her entire day.” It was true then, and it’s true now.
I love food! I love the field of nutrition. And I’m passionate about our environment and sustainability. My goal is to help people, practitioners and organizations discover how a sustainable, resilient, healthy and equitable food system can support both people and planet.
Food and lifestyle choices can give you more energy, help you feel better, prevent illness, and maybe even reverse certain disease states. They can also play a significant role in mitigating the climate crisis and protecting the environment which is in need of extra support.
I bring my skillset, knowledge and experience to individuals, communities, organizations, educational institutions and food companies in order to connect the dots between human and planetary health, one meal at a time. With an expertise in both integrative and functional medicine and sustainable food systems, as well as creative communications and systems-thinking, I am your ally in working towards creating a more regenerative and healthy planet.
While I’m not currently in clinical practice, I have close to 15 years of experience seeing patients. I am here to be an educator, adviser and/or consultant for your organization, company or students as it relates to the intersection of sustainably grown food, health, and climate change. I lecture and offer presentations & webinars build course curriculum, write articles and books, create videos, and host the podcasts “The Nutrition Show” and “The Good Clean Nutrition Podcast” (sponsored by Orgain). You can also take a look at my former youtube web series. Tune in regularly, join the conversation, boost your knowledge and your wellness while helping to support the health of the planet.
Here’s the skinny on my creds…
I’m a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition (MS) from Bastyr University. I have almost 15 years of professional nutrition experience: counseling 1-on-1 with an integrative and functional medicine approach, presenting at numerous national conferences, designing courses, speaking to groups, writing articles, and training other professionals. All this in clinics, at corporations, in colleges & universities, in a nutrition textbook, via online webinars, in magazines, on the radio, and on TV.
I also am an expert in sustainable food systems and their connection to the environment, climate and human health. In particular I have been focused on championing the role that dietitians and healthcare practitioners can play in advocating for sustainabilitiy and equity in the food and agriculture system. I also help individuals and organizations to connect and network, build community and create partnerships in order to support human and planetary health.
Currently, I am:
- Adjunct Faculty (since 2015) at Bastyr University, teaching Ecological Aspects of Nutrition, Sustainable Food Systems and Human Nutrition to both nutrition and medical students.
- Speaker/Guest Lecturer regularly presenting nutrition and sustainability-focused webinars and in-person lectures and at conferences for nutrition and healthcare professionals and dietetic students/interns all over the country.
- Faculty for The Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine Fellowship, creating and facilitating the course “Human Nutrition”
- Nutrition and Sustainability Adviser for Big Bold Health, a food-as-medicine platform company providing immune solutions for the 21st century connecting people and planet
- Director of Education for The Planetary Health Collective, a movement leveraging the skillsets and experience of Nutrition Professionals in the movement to mitigate the climate crisis
- Podcast Host of “The Nutrition Show” Podcast and Web series (formerly “Mary’s Nutrition Show”) and “The Good Clean Nutrition Podcast” sponsored by Orgain.
- Faculty/Instructor at Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy and online education platforms Dietitian Central and Catalyst
- Contributing author of Krause’s Food & The Nutrition Care Process
- Author of the Books “The Microbiome Reset Diet” and “Serving the Broccoli Gods”
- Governing Council Member of CORA: The Coalition for Organic and Regenerative Agriculture.
- Clinical Education Lead & Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale in Seattle (2015-2019)
- Private Practice in Seattle, WA (Nourishing Balance), 8 years (2007-2015)
- Clinical Supervisor/Faculty at Bastyr Center for Natural Health’s Teaching Clinic, (2010-2015)
- Nutrition Director for the Kris Carr Inner Circle Wellness Online community responding to nutrition questions and creating monthly videos on a variety of nutrition-related topics. (2020-2022)
- Consultant and Active Committee/Steering Committee Member with numerous organizations such as:
- Global Meatless Mondays Platform
- Food and Climate Alliance
- Sustainable Food Systems Subunit of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group
- Food Justice Project with the Community Alliance for Global Justice
- Health and Climate Crisis Committee at Bastyr University
- Past Chair; Environment and Nutrition Chair of The Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine a dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with 5000+ members
- New Member Chair of The Hunger and Environmental Nutrition dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with 1200+ members
- Clinical Dietitian at Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA, 2 years (2008-2010)
- Past Board Member and President of the Greater Seattle Dietetic Association. (2006-2011)
- Please see my Linked In Profile for more detailed information
What People Are Saying
Great show! I love the playful way you share this information!
Mary on TV and Radio
- Kiro News Mary Purdy discusses the benefits of Organic Foods
- “Do Sugary Drinks Increase Risk of Death” on Q13 Fox
- 5 Recipes To Get Your Necessary Nourishment After High Endurance Training Mary offers some helpful suggestions for athletes looking to improve post-workout recovery
Click here to see more:
- 6 Cooking Tips and Food Remedies for Nausea Mary Purdy explores the do’s and dont’s of eating to combat nausea
- Diet and Detoxification Mary Purdy discusses the importance of detoxification in today’s toxin-heavy environment
- Advice for Avoiding Midnight Snacking for Expert Beacon
- Your Simple Diet Detox Featured in an article on detoxing in Prevention Magazine in January
- 2 articles on “Curbing sugar cravings” & “Getting Some Spice into your Life” for Seattle PI
- 2 articles on Cancer and Green Tea and Cancer & Capsaicin for the ADA’s Oncology Dietetic Practice Group Newsletter
- Monthly health/nutrition articles for Seattle Newspaper: Northwest Primetime ’06-’07
- Original Recipes published in the book “Celebrate Green”
Work With Mary
Let's connect and discuss how I can educate and inspire your audience or team to take steps to improve their personal health as well as the health of their community and the planet.