Podcast Episode 87
What are the benefits of chickpeas? No matter what you call ’em, (garbanzos chickpeas) these nutritious and delicious legumes are one sustainable food!. Find out why chickpeas are so darn healthy for both you and Mother Nature. Plus, is there a bean that’s more versatile? We have recipe ideas galore.
Are you ready to join our chickpea commission? Tune in.
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- Why are chickpeas so darn healthy?
- How does fiber help us?
- What minerals can be found in chickpeas?
- How can we make hummus more interesting?
- What else can we do with chickpeas besides Hummus?
- How can we get chickpeas in our breakfast?
- What makes chickpeas a sustainable food?
- What happened when Mary put a chickpea up her nose in Nursery school?
- What the heck is “aquafaba”?
Food Print ideas for Chickpea dishes: https://foodprint.org/blog/chickpea-recipes-aquafaba-recipes/
The Chickpea Revolution Book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39786525-the-chickpea-revolution-cookbook
Chickpea Recipes from Fellow Dietitian Nutritionists:
1. Spinach and Quinoa Falafel – Kissed By Spice”
2. Chana Aloo Curry by Melissa Nieves, LND, RD, MPH Founder of Fad Free Nutrition Blog
3. Blueberry Walnut Chickpea Salad by Shannon A. Garcia, MDS, RD, LD with KISS in the Kitchen
4. Chickpea Coconut Curry by Chef Julie, MS, RDN, FAND of The Gourmet RD (@thegourmetRD)
5. Healthy Roasted Chickpeas with Seasoning Amy Gorin, MS, RDN,
6. Chocolate Hummus Dip & Frosting by Judes Scharman Draughon, MS, RDN author of “12 Fixes to Healthy.”
Photo by Deryn Macey on Unsplash
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset