Podcast Episode 96
What’s so wonderful about the luscious lentil? Probably more than you think! There’s a lot to love about this perfect pulse and we talk you through it from nutritional powerhouse to planet protector!
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- Are lentils a legume?
- How much protein and fiber are in lentiils?
- What minerals are in lentils?
- Are lentils good for your heart?
- Why are are lentils sustainable?
- What is a crop rotation and why is it so great?
- “Wat’s” on second?
- How many types of lentils are there?
- How can you use lentils?
- Does lentil pasta exist?
- Can you have lentils for dessert?
- Does the “Lentil council” exist?
- Why does Keith know Mary so well?
ALSO MENTIONED ON OUR SHOW:
1. The Lentil Council: https://www.usapulses.org/
2. Plant-Based Food Share: https://www.plantbasedfoodshare.org/
LENTIL RECIPES from a collection of fellow dietitian nutritionists:
1. Greek Lentils and Rice “Fakorizo” by Elena Paravantes, RDN, IG: @Greekdiet
2. Vegan Za’atar 7 Layer Salad Recipe by Desi~licious RD, Shahzadi Devje CDE MSc, IG/FB: @desiliciousrd
3. Spinach and Lentil Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Kristine Duncan, MS, RDN, CDCES, IG: @veggirlrd
4. Vegan lentil walnut loaf by Kelly Jones MS, RD, CSSD, IG: @kellyjonesrd
5. Lemon Tahini Lentil Hummus by Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN, IG: @bucketlisttummy_rd
6. Spicy Lentil Chili Instant Pot Recipe by Melissa Altman-Traub MS, RDN, LDN, IG: @melissatraubrd
7. Lots of dessert ideas made with....PULSES: https://pulses.org/nap/dish/desserts/
Photo by Frédéric Dupont on Unsplash.
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest information and tips about nutrition, lifestyle, and sustainable foods, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a specialty in and passion for sustainability, and a healthy sense of humor
Subscribe and Review on Apple Podcasts App
ABOUT MARY: Mary Purdy is an Integrative Eco- Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
Have you made the Brownie Lentils? It says use vegetable oil. Is there a specific vegetable oil you recommend?
Yes, the ole “vegetable” oil. I tend to shy away from that and use olive oil or melted coconut oil. You can try high lineleic sunflower oil as well. Avoid the corn, safflower, soybean, which are usually pretty processed and offer very little nutritional value. 🙂 Thanks!