Podcast Episode 88
Curious about which of the many alternative milks out there is the “best” one? Hemp milk? Almond milk? Soy? Oat? We explore not just the health benefits but the environmental impact of these milks to help you understand how to make the choice that’s right for you!
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- How many gallons of water does it take to make ONE almond?
- What’s the impact of these alternative milks on the environment?
- What impact do pesticides have on bees?
- Which alternative milk is highest in protein? Healthy fats? Minerals?
- What are the effects of transporting coconuts?
- What the heck is carageenan?
- Can hemp milk make me high?
- What does it mean when beans & legumes “fix nitrogen”
- What was like to have oatmilk in Spain?
- What the heck is carageenan and how does it affect the gut?
- Can I make my own plant based milk?
- What about dairy?
- Does Organic matter?
- How does intermittent fasting fit into my workout?
Download our FREEBIE on Alternative Milks HERE!
Thanks to Lauren Kline and Hannah Hoekstra for their help in creating this document.
Farming While Black: https://www.soulfirefarm.org/media/farming-while-black/
RECIPES THAT INCLUDE PLANT-BASED MILKS AND “MAKE YOUR OWN PLANT-BASED MILKS” BELOW!
1. Lauren’s Simple Make Your Own Milk recipe: Soak 1 cup raw nuts (cashew or pecan) for 4+ hours and then blend on high speed with 4 cups water until smooth (optional additions: vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon, maple syrup, dates, cocoa powder)
2. “Nutz and Plantz Milks” by Dietitian, Sherri Pinero who says “The taste of homemade plant milk is far superior in taste compared to store-bought. DIY milks offer pure, clean goodness without the additives you find in commercially produced plant milks, such as carrageenan and other thickeners. Once you taste the beautiful robust, creamy taste of homemade nut milks, you won’t want to go back to commercial-grade products. Use nut milks as a coffee or tea creamer, by the glass, and anywhere you would use milk.”
3. Healthy blueberry almond smoothie by Melissa Altman-Traub MS, RDN, LDN
4. Peanut Butter No-Egg Cookies by Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Photo by Thais Do Rio on Unsplash
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset