Podcast Episode 100
What makes a person healthy? Turns out it’s much more than just diet and lifestyle. We talk with our brilliant guests, Raj Patel and Dr. Rupa Marya on how lack of connection, discrimination, environmental issues, and colonial capitalism are some of the additional determinants of what makes a person well or not.
This episode takes a deep look ways we can begin to dismantle our current food and healthcare system and bring about greater healing for people and planet.
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest information and tips about nutrition, lifestyle, and sustainable foods, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a specialty in and passion for sustainability, and a healthy sense of humor.
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- What is the connection between inflammation in the body, inflammation in society and inflammation of our climate?
- How do networks and ecosystems support our lives?
- What is colonial capitalism and what does it have to do with inflammation/health?
- What is agroecology? Food sovereignty
- Why do we need to dismantle and transform our healthcare and food system?
- How do we feed the world and also protect the planet?
- What is deep medicine?
- Who is making decisions about and profiting from our current healthcare system?
- How can we support Indigenous communities?
- How do we heal our relationship with the land?
- Plus what gives Dr. Marya and Raj Patel joy?
ALSO MENTIONED ON OUR SHOW:
2. The Book “Inflamed“
4. Raj Patel Website
5. Rupa Marya Website
ABOUT MARY: Mary Purdy is an Integrative Eco- Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!