Podcast Episode 95
Can kids eat a plant-based diet and still meet their nutrient needs? A resounding “yes” from our fantastic guest, pediatrician Dr. Yami. Tune in to learn the how, why and what kiddos can eat for a healthy body and environment!
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest information and tips about nutrition, lifestyle, and sustainable foods, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability, and a healthy sense of humor.
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- What is “barefoot running”?
- Can athletes be successful on a plant-based diet?
- What are “whole foods?”
- Why is what we feed children important?
- Can a child get enough protein on a plant-based diet?
- Do kids need dairy? Is having some dairy ok?
- Is jumping good for you?
- What is “picky eating” and do we need to be concerned about it…or not?
- Is it normal when your kiddo suddenly stops liking something?
- How can expand a kiddo’s food repertoire?
- How can families consider the planet when they think about diet?
- Is it ok to eat cereal daily?
- Do parents need to be perfect?
- What does it mean to eat 80/20?
- When did Keith start liking tomatoes?
ALSO MENTIONED ON OUR SHOW:
1. Dr. Yami’s Website: https://www.doctoryami.com/
2. Veggie Doctor Radio: https://veggiedoctor.libsyn.com/website/2021
3. Dr. Yami’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thedoctoryami/
4. Food Solutions : https://foodsolutionsne.org/
5. Nature’s Path: https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/
6. The Microbiome Diet Reset by Mary Purdy: https://marypurdy.co/books/microbiome-diet-reset/
RECIPES FOR KIDS FROM FELLOW DIETITIANS:
1. Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry By Chef Vahista Ussery, MS, MBA, RDN
IG: @to_taste; FB: To Taste;
2. Vegan stuffed shells with sun-dried tomatoes and kale. By Melissa Altman-Traub MS, RDN, LDN https://www.facebook.com/melissatraubrd
3. Black-eyed peas and rice by KeyVion Miller RDN, LD/N
Subscribe and Review on Apple Podcasts App
ABOUT MARY: Mary Purdy is an Integrative Eco- Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!