Podcast Episode 89
Should you eat farmed fish? Which is better? Farmed or wild fish? Turns out, it’s not only about looking at the nutritional value of this finned friend, but also about looking at the the impact on the environment, ecosystems and traditional cultures. You decide: Is fish a sustainable food?
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- What impact do farmed fish have on the environment?
- Is fish a sustainable food?
- Where does fish poop go?
- What does fish mean to certain Indigenous Communities?
- Are fish eating soy? And how does this affect the nutritional value of the fish? What does Cargill have to do with it?
- What do fish have to do with our rainforest?
- Are Omega 3’s higher in Wild Fish?
- What can I do with anchovies and sardines?
- Did Mary make up the word “astaxanthin?
Yummy Sardine and Anchovy recipes below by some of my fellow dietitians
1. Spicy Southwest Sardine Bites, by Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN. IG: @LaurenPincusRD
2. Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli and Anchovies by Kaitlin Eckstein, MPH, RD, LD with Rebecca Bitzer and Associates. FB: @marylanddietitians (Feel free to replace the parm with nutritional yeast if you are vegan.)
3. Sardines on Toast with Roasted Tomatoes by Kaitlin Eckstein, MPH, RD, LD with Rebecca Bitzer and Associates. FB: @marylanddietitians
Photo by Paco Joss on Unsplash
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest information and tips about nutrition, lifestyle, and sustainable foods, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability, and a healthy sense of humor.
ABOUT MARY: Mary Purdy is an Integrative Eco- Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset