Podcast Episode 90
Monthly periods can be tough! But they don’t have to be. What foods can help PMS? There are numerous nutrition and lifestyle strategies that can help with cramps, mood and the many other symptoms that individuals often experience.
Let food be thy Midol!
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- How does diet make a difference in PMS symptoms?
- How do men benefit?
- What role do anti-inflammatory foods play in reducing symptoms?
- Which minerals matter?
- What is arachidonic acid and what does it have to do with my period?
- Does soy help or harm?
- What should I be reducing?
- What about caffeine?
- What herbs might be helpful?
- Which supplements might help?
- What lifestyle changes might improve things?
- What happens when Mary drinks wine during the episode?
- A question from our listener: Do the cholesterol levels in eggs lead to higher cholesterol levels in my bloodstream?
Studies about lifestyle interventions:
1. A study published in October 2017 in the Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies concluded that women who practiced yoga 30 minutes per day, two days a week, for 12 weeks at home had a significant improvement in menstrual pain.
2. Two additional studies found that having acupuncture 3-7 days prior to menses was more effective than during menses.
3. RCT: “The Effect of Aromatherapy Abdominal Massage” The level and duration of menstrual pain and amount of bleeding were significantly lower in the aromatherapy group than in the placebo group.
Seeking more info on how yoga can help?
My dear pal and colleague, Yogini, Jen Kagan offers an online course on this very topic!
- Short Presentation on the medical and ayurvedic view on menstruation.
- Quiet the mind – Standing poses and Head Supported Standing poses.
Move Forward and Open the Heart – Seated, Backbend and Supine Poses
1. Planetary Health Collective https://www.planetaryhealthcollective.org/
2. Bunkhouse Acres: https://bunkhouseacres.com/
Photo by Jay Bahc from Pixabay
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty and a Clinical Supervisor at their teaching clinic. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset