Podcast Episode 75
In this time of uncertainty, staying healthy is key. Food can make a difference in enhancing or hampering your immune system. We offer tips and ideas for foods to include and those you may want to minimize. Supplements make a brief appearance as well! (This information is not meant to replace guidelines from the CDC to practice social distancing during this time, nor is it guaranteeing that these tips will prevent COVID or other flus, it is meant to offer additional ways that may help to improve your overall health status.)
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- How might diet help with staying healthy and immune support?
- Why is dietary advice around the coronavirus a little controversial right now?
- What foods might be helpful to have less of?
- Can supplements be helpful?
- What about wine?
- What about the bigger picture of our food system and institutions?
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN – Take a peek at her Carrot-Ginger-Turmeric Mimosa Recipe: https://www.champagnenutrition.com/carrot-ginger-turmeric-mimosa/
Some benefits of red wine: https://www.winespectator.com/articles/understanding-wine-polyphenols-health-benefits
Anything else that could be helpful for supporting immune function and overall health not mentioned on the show? YES
- Herbs and spices like oregano, rosemary & turmeric! (Studies below)
- Additional info on nutraceuticals and botanicals that may provide support for immunity.
- (AGAIN: This is a document that provides suggestions regarding emerging research for additional nutriceuticals and botanicals that may help support immune function and are showing potential promise in improving outcomes for those working to prevent COVID-19 and those who have COVID-19. This is NOT meant to substitute for medical advice, but rather meant to provide information for you around some research that is coming to light that may be helpful. Please consult a healthcare provider if you have any symptoms that may indicate presence of coronavirus.)
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 11 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Subscribe and Review on Podcasts App (and iTunes)
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University. She speaks at conferences throughout the year and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- Currently Adjunct Professor at Bastyr University
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice (8 yrs)
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOK: Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset