Podcast Episode 78
Curious about how soil quality affects food quality? There’s a strong connection. When the soil is healthy, humans are healthy. Find out how regenerative agtriculture is being utilized to heal our soil and ultimately save humanity.
Join Mary Purdy as she interviews Jeff Tkach from the Rodale Institute.
IN THIS EPISODE WE’LL COVER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
- What is the connection between soil health and human health?
- How many microorganisms are in a teaspoon of soil?
- What is regenerative agriculture?
- What is the regenerative agriculture certification?
- What’s the research around the difference in nutrient quality, crop yields, environmental impact and profitability of organically versus conventionally grown foods?
- Is “ergothionine” a nutrient or a Greek God?
- What’s the connection between functional medicine and the agricultural system?
- How can a personal health journey change the trajectory of your career?
- How hard is it to say the word “inextricable?”
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Rodale Institute https://rodaleinstitute.org/
Regenerative Agricultural Certification: https://regenorganic.org/
Downloadable Document: The Truth About Organic: https://rodaleinstitute.org/education/resources/the-truth-about-organic/
Dr. Bronners: https://www.drbronner.com/
NOT Mentioned but great info to have:
A recent op-ed that Rodale authored: https://rodaleinstitute.org/blog/to-recover-from-covid-19-we-must-change-our-food-system/
Rodale’s recently released white paper on agriculture and human health: https://rodaleinstitute.org/education/resources/power-of-the-plate-regenerative-organic-agriculture/
And a link to donate! https://rodaleinstitute.org/get-involved/donate/
About the Show
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 12 years of clinical experience, a passion for sustainability and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
ABOUT MARY Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University where she is Adjunct Faculty. She writes, consults and speaks at conferences throughout the year, and was the Keynote speaker at the 2019 Bastyr University Commencement. Past experience includes:
- 4 years as Coach and Clinical Education Lead at Arivale, Seattle
- 8 years in private practice
- 5 years Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness, promotes plant-based and sustainable eating habits and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S BOOKS: The Microbiome Diet Reset & Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset