Podcast Episode 40
Get the health benefits of turmeric: the bulb, the spice, the miracle worker! This incredible food can protect against cancer and inflammation all while it supports your brain, heart
PLUS: The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
What Is Turmeric?
- Where does turmeric come from?
- What does it look like in the whole form?
- What is curcumin and why is it important?
The Benefits Of Turmeric
- How does curcumin protect against cancer?
- Is it anti-inflammatory?
- What does it do for your brain, heart and liver?
- How can you cook with turmeric?
- What about other ways to get your daily dose?
- What is the trick to make turmeric more effective?
- Mary’s recipe for Golden Milk
- Recipe for Golden Roasted Cauliflower from my friend and colleague Jessica Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN
Turmeric Side Effects
- When should you avoid turmeric?
Mary’s Favorite Curcumin Supplements
- The below supplements mentioned in the show may not all have piperine in them (with the exception of Gaia Herbs), but have been shown to be extremely well absorbed. In fact this study just came out on Theracurmin.
- Gaia – Golden Milk * It’s best heated and mixed with coconut/almond milk beverages to get the fat needed for maximum benefit.
- Bioclinic Naturals – Theracurmin
- Jarrow – Curcumin 95
And, The Weekly Nutrition Challenge!
MENTIONED ON SHOW:
Life insurance for health-conscious people. Vegetarians in the house say “yo!” Use this link to get a free quote or mention the promo code “MNS” when you talk to a Health IQ agent. Help support our show at no cost to you. ?
ABOUT THE SHOW
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, dishes out easy-to-digest info, tips, and advice about nutrition & lifestyle, backed by over 10 years of clinical experience and a healthy sense of humor. Join the weekly conversation! Episodes come out weekly.
Subscribe and Review on Podcasts App (and iTunes)
Mary Purdy is a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from Bastyr University.
- Private practice (8 yrs)
Adjunctprofessor at Bastyr University
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Mary currently works as a Registered Dietitian Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale. Mary takes an integrative/holistic approach to diet, health & wellness and believes that food is medicine!
MARY’S NEW BOOK: Serving the Broccoli Gods
DOWNLOAD MARY’S FREE GUIDE: 2-Day Body Reset
DISCLAIMER: This podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only. Please consult your doctor before following any information you hear here. The opinions expressed here are those exclusively of Mary Purdy, the Show’s producers, and guests, and do not necessarily represent the views of Arivale, Bastyr, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, or other entities.
Thank you so much for this beautiful post about turmeric. I love the way you write and it’s very througout. I hope to see further blog post about the benefits of turmeric.
Me, myself and I, have rheumatoid arthritis and want to buy cheap, but high quality turmeric supplements.
Now I did come up with a few websites, but one with a very cheap discount package.
But Im sceptical too these days. Will you as a professional take a look at the website to see if it’s legit?
Is this something i can buy? Or walk away from it?
Your help is appreciated! Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Chanti! Apologies for my late reply. I’m not as familiar with this brand. I have seen great success with Theracurmin- and it has some decent research around it. https://naturalfactors.com/product/curcuminrich-theracurmin-2/ Here’s to your health!